Sunday, June 23, 2013

Crumbs

It seems all I do of late is separate fights.  My children fight all the time.  Add to that the spats of our two canines and folks can just call me referee.

Tonight my dogs were fighting over some territory... the licking-crumbs-from-the-dishwasher-door territory.  Their three-minute-long growling match caused me to wonder how often my spiritual behavior resembles this bickering.

Perhaps I'm not fighting with another brother for crumbs from the Master's table (Matthew 15: 27), but am I coveting the crumbs thrown to someone else?  Am I wishing for different or better tasting crumbs?  If I'm honest, I must confess "yes."

Satan has convinced me that I deserve more, or better, and that the desires of my heart are well within reach.  And the truth is, none of us has the guarantee of tomorrow, let alone a better tomorrow.  The dog fight I just witnessed convicted me that I'm doing a poor job of thanking God in each and every situation in which I find myself, and convinced me I have a lot of ground to make up.

Lord, forgive me.  Please strengthen me as I work to silence the voice of Satan and of this world.  Comfort and guide me as strive to make Your voice the only one I listen for.

No comments:

Post a Comment